Last Modified: Thursday November 29, 2018
Our approach to privacy
- Abstract is a version control software platform that allows you to upload, manage and grant other users permission to view and edit digital design documents, images and related materials (the “Abstract Service”).
Personal information we collect about you and how we use it
- We collect personal information when you voluntarily submit information directly to us when you use the Abstract Service.
- We also collect personal information from you indirectly such as information about how you use the Abstract Service and the device you use to access the Abstract Service.
- The list below sets out the categories of personal information we collect about you and how we use that information.
- Contact details: We will ask you to provide your name and email address when you first sign up for an account on the Abstract Service. We will use your contact details to create an account for you so that you can use the Abstract Service, to communicate with you directly about the Abstract Service and about any queries, issues or concerns you or other users have and to send you marketing communications in accordance with your preferences.
- Information entered by you: When you enter information on the Abstract Service, including text, images and other files, we will collect and process this information in order to provide the Abstract Service to you.
- Information entered by others: Other users, such as your employer or anyone else that wishes to grant you access to the Abstract Service (the “Customer“), may provide personal information about you to us, such as through private messages or when granting you access to a Customer Account. We will this information in order to provide you with the appropriate level of access to materials and pages on the Abstract Service, to respond to queries, issues or concerns the Customer or other user raises, to assist other users who want to invite users to the Abstract Service or who want to share information about the Abstract Service. This information will also be made available to other users of the Abstract Service, to enable the Customer to manage your activity on the Abstract Service in accordance with the Abstract Terms of Service [https://www.goabstract.com/legal/customer-terms-of-service/].
- Comments and opinions: When you contact us directly, e.g. by email, phone, post or by completing an online form, we will record your comments and opinions. We will also record comments and opinions you express when responding to surveys, entering competitions or taking part in promotions we run. We will use your comments and opinions to address your queries, issues and concerns and improve our products and services. We will also use comments and opinions you express when responding to surveys, entering competitions or taking part in other promotions to determine products and services that may be of interest to you and to send you marketing communications in accordance with your marketing preferences.
- Your preferences: We hold information about the preferences you set for notifications, marketing communications and how our Abstract Service is displayed. We will use your preference settings for the purpose of providing notifications, sending marketing communications and displaying the Abstract Service in accordance with your choices.
- Information about how you use the Abstract Service: We collect information about how you use the Abstract Service, such as the pages you view on the Abstract Service, the time you access the Abstract Service and how long you use it for, the website from where you came to the Abstract Service or go to after leaving the Abstract Service, and any selections and choices you make or products and services you purchase when using the Abstract Service.
- We also collect information about the device you use to access the Abstract Service. This information can include details about the type of device, unique device identification, operating system, browser and applications connected to the Abstract Service through the device, your internet service provider or mobile network, your IP address and your device’s telephone number (if it has one).
- We use information about how you use the Abstract Service to present the Abstract Service to you on your device and for statistical purposes to conduct research and analysis about your use of, and interest in, the Abstract Service, to improve the Abstract Service and our business and to determine products and services that may be of interest to you for marketing purposes.
- Payment information: We will ask you to provide your payment information if you purchase any products or services on the Abstract Service, such as your credit or debit card number, cardholder name, expiry date and CVC number. We will use these details to process payment for the relevant services, to monitor and improve our site and our procedures and to help us develop new products and services. We will not store this information, but will provide it to Recurly, a third party subscription service provider unconnected to the Abstract Service. Please refer to their website for more information about how they store your payment information (https://recurly.com/).
- Information about your location: Other than information you choose to provide to us, we do not collect information about your precise location. Your device’s IP address may help us determine an approximate location. We may use an approximate location to ensure content on the Abstract Service is relevant to the city, state or country you are using your device in, to monitor and improve the Abstract Service and our procedures and processes, and to help us develop new products and features.
- Information about fraudulent or criminal activity relating to your use of the Abstract Service We will use information about fraudulent or criminal activity relating to your use of the Abstract Service for the purposes of detecting and preventing fraud or crime.
- All personal information: We will use all the personal information we collect to monitor and improve the Abstract Service and our business. We also use the personal information we collect to help us develop new products and services. Our use of your personal information in this way will not result in information that was not previously publicly available being made public on the Abstract Service.
- At various places on the Abstract Service you may be requested to enter certain personal information. Personal information that must be provided to use the requested services will be indicated at the time of collection.
- We may anonymise and aggregate any of the information we collect (so that it does not directly identify you). We may use anonymised information for purposes that include testing our IT systems, research, data analysis, improving the Abstract Service and developing new products and features.
Information we share with third parties
- We may share your personal information with the following parties:
- Service providers and advisors: third parties who provide a service to us. For example, we may use third parties to provide certain features of the Abstract Service, to help support our IT infrastructure, to develop analytical information for us about our services, and to provide professional services such as legal and accountancy services. These third parties will only be allowed to use your personal information to assist us and will be required to keep your information secure.
- Purchasers of our business: personal information may be disclosed or transferred to buyers or prospective buyers of our business or any of our assets as part of any such sale.
- Law enforcement, regulators and other parties for legal reasons: third parties who we are under a legal obligation to disclose your personal information to or to whom we need to disclose your personal information to protect our rights, property or safety or to protect the rights, property or safety of others. We may also disclose personal information to third parties to help detect and investigate illegal activities and breaches of any agreement we have with you.
- We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to anyone else except as set out above. We may provide third parties with aggregate statistical information and analytics about users of the Abstract Service but we will make sure no one can be identified from this information before we disclose it.
- We may share your personal information with the following parties:
Marketing and advertising
- From time to time we may contact you with information about our products and services. For some marketing messages, we may use personal information we collect about you to help determine the most relevant marketing information to share with you.
- Most marketing messages will be in the form of emails to the email address you provide to us. If you do not want to receive marketing messages, you will usually be able to tell us by selecting certain boxes on forms we use when we first collect your contact details. You can change your marketing preferences by following the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of each marketing email you receive from us.
- We may allow third parties to deliver certain advertising about products and services that they believe may be of interest to you based on information about how you use the Abstract Service and data associated with your device via mobile advertising platforms.
- You may be able to limit interest-based advertising through the settings on your mobile device or on some PCs by selecting “limit ad tracking” (iOS), “opt-out of interest based ads” (Android) or by disabling access to your advertising ID in the Privacy settings on Windows 10. To learn more about interest-based advertising and how you may be able to opt-out of some of this advertising, you may wish to visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s online resources, at http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices, and/or the DAA’s resources at www.aboutads.info/choices. Some social media websites, such as Facebook, also allow you to adjust your ad preferences, which might affect the advertising displayed to you. You may also be able to opt-out of some – but not all – interest-based ads served by mobile ad networks by visiting http://youradchoices.com/appchoices and downloading the mobile AppChoices app.
Storing and transferring your personal information
- Security: we implement appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect your personal information against accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, change or damage.
- International Transfers of your Personal Information: The personal information we collect may be transferred to and stored in countries outside of the jurisdiction you are in. Some of these jurisdictions offer differing levels of protection in respect of personal information and may, in certain instances, be less protective than the jurisdiction you are typically resident in.
- As we are located in the USA, any information you provide will initially be collected and stored in the USA. If you are in the EU or EEA, this may mean that your personal information will be stored in a jurisdiction that offers a level of protection that may, in certain instances, be less protective of your personal information than the jurisdiction you are typically resident in. By submitting personal information to us or using the Abstract Service, you acknowledge that you are transferring personal information to, and consent to this information being stored in, the USA.
Accessing and correcting your personal information
- If you are based in the EU or EEA, you have the following rights in relation to your personal information: (i) the right to be informed about how your personal information is being used; (ii) the right to access the personal information we hold about you; and (iii) the right to request the correction of inaccurate personal data we hold about you and to request the blocking or deletion of your personal information where the processing does not comply with local data protection laws. Please refer to our Data Processing Addendum for more information.
- To exercise any of the above rights, or if you have any questions relating to your rights, please contact us by using the details set out in the “Contacting us” section below. Please provide as much information as you can about the personal information you are looking for and we will be happy to try and help you find or correct it.
Links to third party sites
The Abstract Service may, from time to time, contain links to and from third party websites, including those of other users, our partner networks, advertisers, partner merchants, news publications, retailers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for their policies. Please check the individual policies before you submit any information to those websites.
Our policy towards children
The Abstract Service is not directed at persons under 13 and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you become aware that a person under 13 has provided us with personal information, without your consent, then please contact us using the details below so that we can take steps to delete this information.
Changes to this policy
Notice to you
Elastic Projects, Inc.
255 Golden Gate Ave., San Francisco CA 94102.